Thursday, April 26, 2012

Meet Mathew – Be inspired by the motorbike mechanic of Panijar

My work these days takes me all over Unity State (that’s the one being bombed) these days. One of the towns on the southern tip of Unity called Panijar is where this story takes place. Panijar’s not what you would call a town back in the US or in any even developing country of the world. There’s ONE road that goes in and out of the town, and its almost a dirt road. There are probably 20 – 30 small huts lined up on both sides of the road when you enter the town which serve as the main market.

I have my breakfast of champions (shisha with tea and biscuits) and brunch (again, shisha with tea and biscuits) there. Once you get to Panijar, to go to the surrounding even smaller towns, its best to take a motorcycle as the roads out of town and into the bush are let’s just say a lot more comfortable and maneuverable if you’re on a motorbike.

Last week, I was about to head out into the bush only to realize that my bike refused to start. I tried every trick I knew to make it start but it wouldn’t. I was told that there is a mechanic in town called Mathew who can help. Now for those of you who know me, you can understand that being a motorbike enthusiast to the point where I even rode my motorbike to uni in 32 degree celsius, hearing the words “take it to a mechanic” feel like someone’s pouring molten lava into my ears. Nevertheless, I had to do something so I dragged the motorbike to the market to meet Mr. Mathew.

Well ladies and gentlemen, Mathew was not only able to start my motorcycle but did it at AGE 13. Yes Mathew, who you can see in the picture attached is only 13, maybe 14, definitely not older than that. Mathew is indeed the town motorbike mechanic. Not only that, Mathew also fixes radio’s and watches in his spare time. I mean if this is not as Russell Peters would put it - MIND BLASTING, then I don’t know what is. He's FREAKING 13.
Sometimes I forget why I do this, but then Mathew comes along, who is everything that a normal teenager is. Extremely shy, goes to primary school, plays soccer with his friends, giggles when he sees a white man, but oh yeah he fixes motorcycles, radios and watches on the side.

Mathew learnt this art while he was in Bentui (the town in north Unity which is being bombed these days) hanging around motorcycle repair shops. His father died when he was very young and so he probably spent a lot of time in these shops. Many kids have that story around here, no father, hanging out in town all the time, but Mathew was/is incidentally a genius as well. Mathew moved back with his mother to Panijar last year, her home town, and is supporting her financially. If this kid was in any other country on this planet he would be paraded on TV, would go to some school for the gifted, but, alas he’s the Kohenoor (largest diamond in the world taken by the British from India) stuck in one of the remotest parts of the world.

Mathew and I are really tight now (at least thats what I think) and I asked him the other day what he wanted as a gift. That’s when the real 13 year old came out, “a motorcycle, so I can go really fast”. I told him we can think about that a few years down the road but for now if he does well in his class this year, I’ll get him a kick ass tool box. He giggled and told me “that will do as well”.

I did have something for Mathew that I hold very dear to my heart, my Leatherman multi-tool (sorry nani) equipped with pliers, cutter, stripper, knife and screwdrivers. I wish other people could see the look on his face when I gave it to him. He held that 50 dollar thing like it was a 5 carat diamond, and yet again like a 5 year old girl, I had tears in my eyes.

Sometimes, I wonder if people here realize how much joy they bring to my life. I can’t thank God enough for letting me see such wonders of this world. I will never understand how in amidst all the hunger, poverty, war and chaos such an unbelievable treasure can unearth, but I will always be grateful when I look up to the heavens for giving me the chance of witnessing it. 

Fabi ayyi aala e rabi kuma tukazibaan

1 comment:

Rija said...

Cried like a five year old but with a smile. you truly are blessed. Prayers for Mathew.