Thursday, March 1, 2007

Buush Team

Woke at 8 this morning, made breakfast, seems like i'm back in college, waking up making sure you eat something before going out. Had left over parathas from last night's dinner with my desi eggs ka ommlette. They call parathas chapitiz here. The tea here is wonderful and being a big Chai guy I love my cup of tea, full of flavor and the milk is soo rich.
Came into the office this morning started working on formatting the ICROSS annual report when I met the BUSH MEN; Gatiba (joe) and Saroni, the field warriors. They work in the field offices all over kenya. They call themselves the BUSH men and soon i'll be part of the Bush Team as well. I got my first lesson on the Masaai people from Saroni; about their 9 major clans and the 9 sub clans. As I was getting my lesson a Masaai mother that ICROSS works with, came to the offices and I had my first encounter with a masaai which extremely enjoyable. The woman looked way older than she really was. She had a big smile, extended her hand towards me and said "Sava", being the dumb foreigner I said "Sava" back only to be corrected by Saroni to say "Aeva" back.
My first impression of the Masaai was that they are wonderfully kind people that lead a life of extreme hardship.
Well I'm going to go back to formatting my Annual report now. I wish I could upload my pictures but this internet is killing me, well iI'll keep trying and hopefully get them uploaded this century.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"Sava" brother:) Sounds like you are having time of your life, u r one lucky dude to experience all this. All the best and keep posting ur adventures.

Unknown said...

Hanging out with the Bush Men huh? I usually don't like Bush Men but I think these are not the ones from Washington, so I guess I'll make an exception. hehehe

Unknown said...

Ali yar it is "sopa" and the reply is "Aepa":) I am glad all is well. Do give me warmest to everyone at the base!

Jenel said...

Ali-I got your email and it's good to hear from you! Like I said in January, take full advantage of your life before you get tied down with marriage and children...I admire you for what you're doing. I look forward to seeing you here in Atlanta in September!

Jenel Gallagher